Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tuesday's This and That

I have exciting news! I have now lost 10 pounds! I'll pause for a second while you take in this earthshattering news. OK, so it's not that exciting but it is progress AND I'm one pound ahead of schedule. Tom and I have been competing and we are exactly at the same point in the race. Normally I don't think it's a good idea for men and women to compete in the weight loss arena because of the difference in metabolism and muscle mass, blah blah blah. But, right now it's working for us and I'm happy. 
This may change in a week or two and if so, I'll be back to say how right I was, but for now, YAY!

I got back on the figurative horse and went for a walk this morning. This was my first time out on that road since the unfortunate event. Saturday was my day off, Sunday I did yoga instead and Monday I was SORE from the yoga. 

As I walked, every single twig got a good look from me and I was careful to pay attention the whole time. I did have a funny experience today while walking: When I started my walk, there was a woman about 100 yards ahead of me on the road walking in the same direction. Because I was walking more quickly than she was I caught up with her eventually. I said good morning and she asked me where I was going. (At least that is what it sounded like--my Bemba is nowhere near fluent). I told her I was walking "up there and then back" and said I was "exercising". Exercising is a fairly novel concept here but she nodded her head in recognition and I kept on walking. 
As I walked briskly I could feel her just behind me. I was surprised because she had been walking much slower previously. Then I realized that she was trotting every so often in order to keep up with me. I felt bad that she was trying to keep up and wasn't sure what the protocol was. If I slowed down, I wouldn't meet my goals, and even if I decided to do that, we couldn't really converse. It was kinda awkward. 
I eventually settled on on the path of least resistance and that was to pretend I had no idea she was there. I stared straight ahead and kept walking. She stayed pretty much the same distance behind me--about 4-5 feet--by walking and then running with her flip-flops making a slapping noise each time.
Thankfully it was less than ten minutes to my turn around point and as I passed her I said "Mwende Bweno" (Go Well) and she smiled and walked on as if we hadn't been having a weird race of sorts.

Today I shaved 2 minutes off my usual time for completing 3.1 miles. I'm very happy! and I didn't see any snakes so all in all, an excellent day!

Exactly One Year Ago: How I Lost NaBloPoMo Last Year--Long post but interesting.

5 comments:

  1. Hooray for 10 lbs! I'm so proud of you.

    Hugs & love,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I hope the handy man's wife is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you on the weight loss! And I was totally laughing at that walking story. I saw the whole thing playing out in my mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. TEN pounds! That's fantastic. Congratulations and keep up the good work.
    Cheers, jj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today I shaved my legs.

    Oh. I see. Different shaving. Got it.

    You rock!

    ReplyDelete

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis