Monday, April 26, 2010

Loved Ones

The older I get the harder I find it to be away from loved ones. Movies which show the characters hanging out with their families, having good relationships with their brothers or sisters or where the dad drops by to help fix something can move me to tears. I know we are away from 'home' for a good cause but it can still be lonely.

For this reason I was so happy to be able to spend some time on this trip with my family (part of it anyway) in California.


The last time I saw my uncle I was seven years old and we were on a trip to Disneyland. I've 'met' his daughter--my cousin--online at Facebook (gotta love it!!) and they drove to my sister's apartment to meet me last Wednesday. They braved L.A traffic including an accident involving a truck full of carrots!


My sister lived out in South Africa for six years working with underprivileged children. She met her husband there and after a stint in the Marines including a tour in Iraq, my BIL is now a police officer. Because we were moving at the time of their wedding I had never had a chance to meet him yet.

I got to be there for my nephew's first birthday. These are some cute kids!
And such a nice looking family.


My sister is doing an amazing job of raising the kids, looking after her household AND attending school! I'm so proud of her!



My sister was not thrilled to be followed around by a camera all day. Here she was saying, "Amy, stop!" Isn't she gorgeous when she's irritated?


She got me back later that evening as we relaxed with nachos, 'ritas and a movie.


This was my favorite shot of the trip: Mommy, baby and grandma.

3 comments:

  1. The one good thing about being apart from family is that when you finally get together, it's always a celebration! (Not that it makes it any less lonely when you are apart.) So glad for you to be having these reunions!

    (By the way, there's a rather nasty ad on your blog, just below this entry. I didn't click on it so I don't know what it actually leads to.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. L: Thanks for the heads up. I checked on the ads but couldn't see it...I'm fairly new to blogging--do they switch out frequently?

    If you want to email me what it was about I can contact adsense to deal with it. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I am glad you had the opportunity to visit with family. I can imagine that is difficult ~ living so far away. May God bless you for all that you are doing in His name in Africa.

    ReplyDelete

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis